ERA-EDTA 2017 is fast approaching and, to help you plan your time at the Congress, the COMPACT RENAL team has put together a preview guide to the presentations in the field of CKD-MBD. For full listings for the conference see the ERA-EDTA Planner.
COMPACT RENAL will be in the exhibit hall at booth #3.025, so don’t forget to stop by for more information on the COMPACT program and to meet members of the COMPACT advisory panel who will be stopping by during the Congress.
Saturday 3 June
- Phosphate & nutrition in CKD: A CME session from 08:30 in Sala Colòn will cover the mechanics of phosphate absorption, the avoidance of protein energy wasting as well as the benefits of nutritional education and adoption of appropriate diets. Speakers include Pablo Antonio Ureña Torres, Pieter M. Ter Wee, Adamasco Cupisti, Stanislas Trolonge and Miguel Ángel Martínez-González.
- Implementation of the KDIGO Update on CKD-MBD: A further CME session, from 12:00 in Hall N103-104, will provide valuable insight into the implications of the upcoming KDIGO CKD-MBD guidelines update. Topics will include the choice of phosphate binder in the presence of calcification and the success of current dietary interventions in controlling phosphate. Speakers will also discuss screening for fracture risk, the role of new compounds in treating MBD and the role of active vitamin D therapies.
Sunday 4 June
- Late Breaking Clinical Trials: This key congress session, from 11:45 in Hall 10, includes a presentation on the survival benefits conferred by different treatment strategies for CKD-MBD, as well as Japanese clinical trial results on the use of Active Vitamin D in haemodialysis patients.
- Epidemiology and CKD-MBD: Also from 11:45, in Hall N103-104, this session will discuss the use of observational data in research and the role of the COSMOS trial in identifying phosphorus management targets.
- Renal mineral handling – what’s new?: Again at 11:45, in Hall N105-106, a symposium provides updates on renal phosphate handling, the role of magnesium and FGF23-Klotho signalling and the mechanism of calcium transport.
- Free communication session – CKD-MBD in dialysis: From 15:15 in Sala Retiro, this session includes data from DOPPS on regional variations in MBD markers.
- Industry symposium – Management of CKD-MBD: Time for new concepts?: From 18:45 in Hall 10.B, and chaired by Markus Ketteler, this symposium will cover new evidence being considered for guideline updates, approaches for improving hyperphosphatemia management and the role of 25-hydroxyvitamin D3 in a pre-dialysis setting.
- Poster presentations:CKD-MBD posters will be presented in the range SP344-SP388.
Monday 5 June
- Bone loss in CKD: Starting at 08:00 in Hall 10.A, this morning session will cover several aspects of bone loss in CKD, including the role of sclerostin and potential novel treatments.
- Free communication session – CKD-MBD: A wide range of subjects will be covered in this session, from 17:00 in Sala Retiro, including a presentation by Jürgen Floege on the results of a systematic review of the use of phosphate binders in CKD.
- Poster presentations:CKD-MBD posters will be presented in the range MP664-MP701, with multiple posters reviewing treatment effects of therapies for CKD-MBD
Tuesday 6 June
- ERA-EDTA & ESPN Symposium – CKD-MBD in children: From 10:45 in Hall 10.B, this symposium will focus on managing CKD in the paediatric population, including a review of CKD-MBD guidelines.
We wish you a safe journey to Madrid and look forward to seeing you at the COMPACT RENAL booth, #3.025.