The 2016 ASN congress begins in Chicago next week. In this article, the COMPACT RENAL team has highlighted key sessions and posters relating to hyperkalemia.
Note that hyperlinks to symposia will take you to the ASN Kidney Week website, where you will have the option to add sessions to your calendar. Links in  point to abstracts.
Thursday 17 November
An industry symposium at 12:45pm in room S100A (McCormick Place) will review the prevalence and risk factors for hyperkalemia and approaches for its prevention and treatment. Stephen Seliger will first present on the epidemiology of hyperkalemia, followed by Csaba Kovesdy presenting on approaches to prevent & treat chronic hyperkalemia.
At 2pm, a clinical science symposium entitled You Are What You Eat: Diet and CKD includes a presentation from Sharon Turban on the association between dietary potassium intake and CKD progression.
Posters on Thursday include:
- Pooled analysis of Phase II/III studies in CKD & heart failure patients examining the effects of patiromer on systematic blood pressure [TH-PO480]
- Initial results from an ongoing Phase III study of ZS-9 in patients with hyperkalemia [TH-PO477], including an assessment of the therapy’s impact on blood pressure [TH-PO478]
- International data examining the relationship between serum potassium and all-cause mortality, CV mortality and ESRD [TH-PO475]
Friday 18 November
An industry symposia at 12:45pm in room S401 (McCormick Place) will review the physiology of potassium handling, discuss the risks and treatment thresholds for acute hyperkalemia, and evaluate the management for patients of acute and chronic hyperkalemia. The symposia will included presentations from Biff Palmer & James Tumlin.
At 2pm in room S102, a clinical practice session entitled Physiology-Based Approach to Management of Common Electrolyte Disorders includes a presentation on hyperkalemia from Csaba Kovesdy.
In the poster hall, presentations will include:
- Analysis of NHANES data, suggesting that prevalence of hyperkalemia increases with age [FR-PO788]
- Analysis of a commercial claims database to assess the prevalence of hyperkalemia across calendar years [FR-PO784]
- Analysis of the associations between hyperkalemia and worse clinical outcomes [FR-PO974, FR-PO954]
Saturday 19 November
On Saturday, only one notable hyperkalemia-related abstract will be presented, with the CKDopps registry highlighting the prescription rates of antihypertensive medications in CKD patients according to serum K levels in Germany, France, US and Brazil [SA-PO796]
Sunday 20 November
At 10am on Sunday, a basic science session entitled Na+-ture K+-alls: New Concepts in Maintenance of Na+ and K+ Homeostasis includes a presentation from Johannes Loffing on the role of aldosterone in the regulation of potassium homeostasis.
We wish you a safe journey to Chicago and we look forward to reporting back from the congress on the key presentations.