In 2014 KDIGO held a Controversies Conference on the management of iron in patients with chronic kidney disease (CKD). Bringing together an international panel of experts, the conference was convened to discuss potential safety concerns surrounding the increasing use of intravenous iron in patients with CKD.
Following on from the conference, KDIGO has developed an easy-to-use speaker’s guide, which is available to download from COMPACT RENAL. The slide set is designed to help facilitate the discussion of key data related to iron management and to promote the optimal care of patients with chronic kidney disease.
The slide deck includes commentary, case studies and recommendations concerning:
- the causes and definitions of absolute and functional iron deficiency, as well as of iron overload,
- markers used for assessing iron levels,
- risk factors for oxidative stress,
- infection risk in dialysis and non-dialysis patients,
- hypersensitivity reactions to IV iron.
A treatment algorithm for managing hypersensitivity is included in the speaker’s guide, along with example case studies for discussion and slide notes for further information.